How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Vulcan, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Inviting Environment: Serving our local farming communities, our home is located in a quiet, rural community and has warm, welcoming and home-like atmosphere. With hard wood floors and inviting, colourful décor it feels just like a home to our residents.
- Weekly Sing-Along: We have a weekly sing along group called “Sanderson’s Army” in honour of the volunteer who started it. Lyrics are projected on a large screen so residents can more easily sing along.
- Seated Exercise Class: We have seated exercise classes three times a week that focus on strength, range of motion, balance and flexibility.
- Weekly Happy Hour: At the once weekly Happy Hour, residents relax and socialize over a maximum of 2 drinks.
- Intergenerational Program: About once every quarter, we have an Intergenerational Program that brings elementary school children into our home to spend time with our residents.
- Reminiscing Program: Each week we have a reminiscing program during which residents talk about their past experiences.
- Gardening Group: Members of the Gardening Group like to exercise their green thumbs growing flowers and vegetables in raised beds.
- Live Entertainment: We have live entertainment about 6 times a month featuring a variety of different performers from the community.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Weekly Movie Night: Residents also enjoy weekly Movie Night, complete with popcorn, on our state-of-the–art entertainment system.
- Bingo: Bingo is a weekly staple that residents always enjoy.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Social Worker